Monday, January 25, 2016

Books I've Been Reading

Since Christmas, I've been reading a lot of new books. Some of my favorites were We Need to Talk About Kevin, Everyday, and The Perks of Being a Wallflower. My resolution for 2016 was to read more, and so far it's coming along quite nicely.
We Need to Talk About Kevin is a book written by Lionel Shriver in which the main character writes a series of letters to her estranged husband. I enjoyed it particularly because of the author's writing style and her ability to make you empathize with the characters. It was a morbid book, with the majority of it focusing on a extremely dark subject but it was intriguing all the same. I would recommend this book to people who don't mind reading about disturbing events and the consequences that follow.
                                                      

Everyday is a book that I started this summer but quickly bored me. However, this month I decided to give it another shot and I enjoyed it much more this time around. The main character was very entertaining to read about because of his versatility. Each chapter he was someone different which I thought might be off putting but it was instead a refreshing variation. And despite becoming a new person each chapter, the plot remained consistent and interesting. I would recommend this book to people who are okay with a somewhat slowly progressing plot and with little action.

                                                      

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a book that I have wanted to read since I watched the movie when it came out. I guessed that the book would be better than the movie, as is usually the case, and I was not proved wrong. The book was a hundred times better and I got to see the characters in much more depth than on the screen. Similar to We Need to Talk About Kevin, I appreciated the letter format and how I got to see the other characters in the novel through the main character's perspective. I thoroughly enjoyed this novel and would recommend it to pretty much anyone, with the exception of people who would prefer to avoid more mature topics.

                                                     
I have already read these three books and am in the middle of my fourth, and seeing how its only January 25th, I believe my resolution is right on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment