Monday, October 19, 2015

My love of reading

Many avid readers cite one specific book as being different from the rest and the source of their passion. I’ve always loved reading but I didn’t find the one book that really sparked my interest until I was ten years old. Up until that point the majority of books I’d read had been uninteresting and dull or part of a class project. I really did like to read but I was beginning to think that all books were monotonous and I was quickly losing an interest.


That year for Christmas the only things I wanted were books but I had nothing specific in mind. I wasn’t expecting my relatives to buy me any wonderful books so I was very pleasantly surprised when I began reading the book my aunt had got me. It was called Alanna: The First Adventure and as soon as I opened the book I was entranced.



It had everything I could possibly dream up: magic, adventure, knights, and more. I was thrilled that I’d finally found a book that incorporated all my interests. My delight multiplied when I discovered the book was part of a series, and I soon bought the remaining three. After finishing the series I was sad for brief period because I thought I’d finished the one good book out there. Soon afterwards, I realized how foolish I was being and decided to give reading another chance. I branched out and instead of sticking to strictly fantasy –my preferred genre– I read science fiction, mystery, and even non-fiction. It took me a couple of mind-numbingly boring books but I finally discovered that although all books aren’t going to be my favorite, I can’t judge so harshly. Now, I read varying genres and I have numerous favorite books.


To this day, the author is one of my favorites and her books will also be close to my heart. Her books inspired me to read more and the more I did, the more books I found that were just as captivating. I realized that it was foolish of me to be so quick to judge all books by just a few boring ones I’d read in class. Today, I give all books a chance, despite my desire to judge them by their covers.


No comments:

Post a Comment